Tuesday, April 9, 2013

What's Up? Not much really!

My life as a neophyte social networker may be about done.  :)
I recently spent the past 40 days without  daily multiple feedings of Facebook.  Yup - that means I gave it up for Lent.  I usually spend those forty days prior to Easter replacing a daily habit I enjoy with time to remember what my Savior has done for me on that Good Friday.   It is getting harder to think of daily activities or habits that can be replaced.  For me, Facebook seemed the appropriate item.  Whenever I made the journey into my social world, I would replace it with prayer or Bible reading through Luke - which we are currently studying at church.  A couple observations when I considered the change
  • Most of my network was very connected to my previous school and ministry.  I would find myself engaged mentally with the lives of my "former life."   I am not sure that was all a good thing for me.  I have "moved on" in more ways than one.  
  • I realized that I did not miss the editorial critique, self-serving announcements or witty comments that cry out, "look at me!".
So I'm considering hanging up my FB account and spend more time in  Google+ and igoole.   There is SO much out there that is substantive in nature and edifying.    You may have already figured that out,  but I am still trying to learn my way around the world of 2.0.  In reality, I was thankful for an opportunity to swap my own self-professed need for networking with folks I may never see again with a time set to connect with my loving Father.   Thanks for Lent. Thanks for the cross.  Thanks for Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment