Friday, August 24, 2012

Discipleship Business

I read a great blog post in Leadership Journal by Gordon MacDonald titled, "How to Spot a Transformed Christian."  I have been a big fan of MacDonald's writings since the 70's and his "Resilient Life"  had a great impact on the lives of those who read it with me.  MacDonald draws a comparison to the development of a Marine to that of a disciple of Jesus Christ.  The transformation is marked as a recruit goes through an intensive training process to produce the chiseled warrior ready to dedicate his life for God and country. They are easy to pick out in a crowd.  He asks the question - "What would a transformed Christian life look like?"  Here is Gordon's dozen:

1. Has an undiluted devotion to Jesus.
2. Pursues a Biblically informed view of the world.
3. Is intentional and disciplined in seeking God's direction.
4. Worships with a spirit of continuous repentance.
5. Builds healthy human relationships.
6. Knows how to engage the larger world.
7. Senses a personal "call"  and unique competnencies.
8. Is merciful and generous to those who are weaker.
9. Appreciates that suffering is part of faithfulness to Jesus.
10. Is eager and ready to express the content of their faith.
11. Overflows with thankfulness.
12. Has a passion for reconciliation.

His thoughts were shared with my teaching staff this morning.  We are in the "disciple making" business.  Disciples building and equipping followers of Jesus.  I would expect those who lead to be more dedicated to the principles than those they shape.  It  caused me to take a personal inventory of how I measure up to these "transformational principles."    I must admit that there are several of them that I feel good about, while others that need constant attention.
Gordon states: " There are Marines and you know them when you see them.  They bear evidence of a remarkable transformation.  And then there are Christ-followers, and among them you see the occasional mature, transformed follower of the Lord.  You know them because, as you draw closer, you see Christ in them."   Nice work Gordon!  Glad you are still part of the "transformation business!"  I am thankful that in my 55 plus years of life, I have been blessed by the faithful influence of many!      


No comments:

Post a Comment