Thursday, August 30, 2012

Celebrating New Life!


On Friday night, August 24th at 9:59 pm, my daughter and son-in-law celebrated the birth of their first baby, Abigail!  Of course she makes me a grandpa!  My wife flew out on her reserved flight to Phoenix on Saturday afternoon and I drove out following dropping her off.   I had 9 hours on the road to think about what it means to have a new generation in the family.  I drove straight to the hospital and met her.  This is new life like I hadn't experienced since the birth of my own children.  She is the most beautiful and precious baby I've seen in a long time. Some thoughts...
There is part of me in that baby.  Somewhere buried in her DNA is one or two chromosomes that were put there by myself and Rhonda.  That's an awesome thing. At least I hope so.  :)  What that part is yet to be revealed and I can't wait to see what it might be.  To see  both Andrew and Sarah in her is amazing.  I see the feet of a runner and the hands of a pianist!   Neither one is me.
She will grow up in Christian family! I had a great sense of peace flood over me knowing she would be a child of God. She has come from two bloodlines that hold their allegiance to Jesus Christ!  What a privilege it will be to share stories of faith with her. Andrew's parents and entire family have dedicated their lives to be "Enochs" and "walk with God."  I am blessed to have a family that  also walks by faith.  This is a rare covering in her life and we look forward to introducing her to all her aunts, uncles and cousins in the months and years ahead.
We will make memories together. What will she remember about me?  I must begin to formulate in my own mind the stories that we will make together.  Will we camp, ride boogie boards,  learn to fish? Play "Heart and Soul" as a piano duet?  We will share a life story along with Randy and Elaine. It has re-calibrated my thinking about how I finish this race.  My health and well-being is important to sustain me through this next chapter of our lives as we watch her grow up to be the person God intends for her to be.
God has an amazing purpose for her life.  How exciting it will be to see her life unfold within a generation that will experience so much change!   Yet, like any child we are a steward to shape and mold what God has created.  He has purposed her for greatness! She will be an exception, not the norm!  (a peregoyism).  There is no one on the planet like her.  God has equipped her in some way to  do some amazing things for Him.  I just can't wait to see what that might be.
I already love this child despite only knowing her for two days.  It is an example of the unconditional love God has for each of us.  No matter how much she cries at night, or the number of dirty diapers,  she will get the undivided attention from her parents. They must be attentive to her every wimper.  So it is with our relationship with our God.  To know that God has established this kind of relationship with Abigail is amazing to me.  He fashioned her in her mother's womb, she is fearfully and wonderfully made.!  I love this!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Grandpa and Grandma Peregoy! May the joy of the Lord be on ya!

    ReplyDelete