Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Advent Conspiracy 2013

                                               
Last year I learned about the Advent Conspiracy www.adventconspiracy.org.  movement that was taking shape in the Christian church.  This past weekend, SJLC was blessed by Lincoln Brewster and his "Joy to the World Tour." It was just what I needed to refocus my attention on Christmas.  One thing that is missing at SJ is midweek Advent services.  I miss the weekly checkpoint to sing some carols and hear a message from the Old Testament prophets or making  the annual journey to Bethlehem with the characters in Matthew and Luke. 
I love the four tenants of Advent Conspiracy:
"Worship Fully"  /"Spend Less" / "Give More" / "Love All"
I am reminded of how frugal I have been as I consider all the Christmases of the past. We had to make a little go a long way as our kids were growing up.  I am probably best known for my "buying needs" and not "wants" by my kids and wife.  Practicality was the key. Only in the past few years as the kids and parents live far away do I consider more excessive spending on gifts.  It feels better because I'm "making up" for the time and energy spent away from them for most of the year. My commitment is to begin each day clicking a spot on the online AC Advent calendar and reflecting on these simple statements.  I long for Emmanuel!  So Come Lord Jesus! Quickly!  More to come :)



No comments:

Post a Comment