Monday, April 30, 2012

Formative Feedback

I find it interesting how easy it is to find fault with practically any aspect of education today.  Whether it is funding schools, teacher effectiveness, test scores, school lunch... the list continues to find itself into the center stage of  the media.  In our best schools quality is under scrutiny.  Our western culture grows to expect a high level of performance from educational institutions and if and when that level comes under question, the banter begins.  The following post is shared from a a perspective we usually do not hear. I am proud of the involvement we participate  in shaping the thinking of future  Christian educators.

Our school has had the privilege of providing a laboratory educational experience for three student teachers from Concordia University, Nebraska.  Each teacher can remember their own experience and reflect on how it shaped their view of education and modeled quality instruction. Here is what they said when asked what they take away from their experience with us:

"Student teaching is the most exciting and transformational part of an Education student's life in
college. Of all of the student teachers that left in January from Concordia, I truly believe that Andrea, Dana, and I received best placement. Having the opportunity to serve at St. John has challenged me to embrace technology, be more creative, use every resource possible, and collaborate with everyone! I will never find another place that is so "out-of-the-box" like St. John, but I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to experience it and make you all apart of my story. I will never forget the generosity of the families, support of the staff and the fearless leadership that makes St. John a spectacular place!"  Samantha Bodkin, Omaha, NE

"One of the most valuable insights I will take with me after leaving SJLS is how to facilitate independent learning within a classroom.  Teachers use a variety of techniques and practices that encourage and give students opportunities to explore and engage on a deep level.  Everything is taught with a purpose which allows students to apply learned knowledge to the world around them. SJLS students are equipped to use the tools they've been given to be successful."  Andrea Weiss, MI

"I am so thankful for the time I spent at St. John Lutheran School. I never knew I would get so attached to this place. I feel as if we are all family sharing the love of Christ each and every day. I am thankful for the relationships I have built with my cooperative teachers, as well as the students. Thank you for all the support from the teachers and parents! I have learned more than I could have ever imagined by student teaching here. St. John is the BEST place to grow in faith and learning!  I will miss St. John! "  Dana Miller,  Sioux Falls, SD. 

We appreciate the mentoring done by their cooperating teachers during their 16 week experience:  Jennifer Lochmann, Brooke Otto, Rhonda Peregoy, Sheri Dubberke, Daneen Hanson and Sheri Dubberke!  

No comments:

Post a Comment